The importance of mental health and well-being has escalated in recent times because of the acknowledgement that it has been getting due to young people working hard to make it an issue that requires awareness. Mental health has been an issue for longer than we know, when it was not talked about or discussed or given attention to. Rather, it was avoided, looked down upon and simply ignored. Thankfully, this category of “health” is now on the way to be truly equated with ‘physical health’. It should be just as easy as visiting a physician when you have a cold – visiting a therapist or a psychologist when you’re feeling mentally unwell; it is as simple as that.
However, the job does not end at trying to normalise therapy, visits to the psychologist / psychiatrist. There are so many more things to do in order to make the world a safer, better place for people suffering from any mental or emotional problems. It does not have to be a hardcore sickness or disorder to be taken seriously. The well-being of a person is not restricted to exercising, sports, a healthy diet, immunity and a fit body. A vital factor that is forgotten is the mental state of an individual. In fact, much more people than you think are in need of therapy. About one in five people need help with their mental health. If you’re good at maths, you will know that that is a significant statistic. If not, know that one in five, in India’s perspective alone, means 27,600,877 people.The social and economic costs surrounding mental health are the evils behind the entire stigma. Normalising mental health and well-being is the goal and it is not possible without actively talking about it. The discussion has to be passionate, strong, shameless and yet, factually correct and enlightening. It has to be talked about because it has to be discussed that:
– Even very young children may show early warning signs of mental health concerns.
– The vast majority of people with mental health problems are no more likely to be violentthan anyone else.
– Studies show that people with mental health problems get better and many recover completely.
– People with mental health problems are just as productive as other employees.
– Members of LGBTQ+ community are almost 3 times more likely to experience a mentalhealth condition such as major depression or generalized anxiety disorder.
– Depression is the leading cause of disability worldwide.
– Poor mental health plays a significant role in diminished immune functioning.
– Many people are of the opinion that mental illness is irreversible that leads to therapeutic nihilism.
– Many people believe that drugs used to treat mental illness may cause many side effects and lead to addiction. They feel that these drugs merely induce sleeping.And many more such topics that have to be discussed by us in order to be more aware about things that matter. This will help not only us, but our friends, relatives, people that we know because having correct knowledge minus active stereotypes and stigmas is collectively helpful and necessary in times like these. Having engaging conversations helps brainstorming which leads to new ideas and creativity and in turn better efficiency.